West Africa Container Terminal (WACT) is one of the first green field container terminals to be built in Nigeria under public private partnershipWACT is located in Onne port (some 30kms from Port-Harcourt)
in Rivers StateWe have been successfully connecting East, North, West Central Nigeria and Rivers state to the worldThis has been possible through top-quality services, cordial business relations with customers, regular interaction with stakeholders, human resource development, modern handling equipment and superior e-commerce capabilities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shift Manager
Location: Onne , Rivers
- Ensure that all operations at the yard, gate or vessel are executed in accordance to priorities set by the planning team and escalate where changes may be required.
- Communicates vessel operation sequence and stevedoring requirements to subordinates.
- Executes the planned yard sequence and advises planners on information required.
- Ensure the optimum utilisation of all equipment employed during the designated shift period by monitoring equipment work queues and allocating equipment and personnel where required to achieve maximum productivity.
- Supervise the Yard and Vessel and Gate Supervisors & indirectly the gangs and ensures that each gang is organized, that each person knows what to do and when to do it for the vessel discharge and load operations according to plan in order to achieve the highest possible crane productivity.
- Acts as a focal point for any stevedoring issues and ensure that the load and discharge registration is performed accurately and timely.
- Instructs subordinates in safe working practices and maintains a watch over terminal area for unsafe working practices.
- Identifies and solves problems and issues within his competence on a daily basis that may arise with an assigned vessel to improve an untroubled operation.
- Monitor continuous operations at shift changeover times and rest break changeovers.
- Reports problems and issues to the Execution Manager, when necessary especially issues of complexity or great impact on the operation.
- Ensures highest levels of productivity, while adhering to high quality and safety standards.
- Coordinates the container discharge and load operations, yard operations, and berth schedules to ensure maximum productivity and the efficient use of labour and equipment
- Constantly contribute to improve work processes, methods & improve operational efficiency of operations personnel
We are looking for:
- A university degree Operations Management, Logistics, Business Administration or related discipline.
- At least seven years or more of strong supervisory experience in container terminal operations environment, or similar, related industry.
- Previous experience as a foreman, supervisor, superintendent or other similar position would be expected as a natural progression to this position.
- Familiar with the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices within marine, stevedoring and terminal operations.
- Is conversant with the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) regulations for the on-board segregation of hazardous cargoes and storage within a terminal area.
- Advanced computer skills with a sound understanding of modern terminal planning and control systems.
- In-depth, comprehensive understanding of container terminal operations, especially vessel cargo logistics, hazardous cargo, break-bulk and special cargo handling requirements and equipment.
- Ability to work under pressure, anticipates potential problems and diagnoses, evaluate and resolve logistical problems as they happen in order to meet operational performance objectives and deadlines.
- Effective customer service skills.
- Provide leadership and ensure cooperation and support from employees and contractors in all areas of terminal operations to achieve operational objectives of the business using a teamwork approach.
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills combined with good counselling and listening skills.
- Well-developed English oral, written communications and report writing skillsAlso, must have a working knowledge of the Pidgin English.
- Previous experience of working in a multi-cultural environment is an advantage.
- Capability to anticipate problems by recognizing the key issues in problems and creating contingency plans and alternative solutions.
- A wide range of national and international career opportunities.
- Opportunities for professional growth in a dynamic environment acquiring skills, knowledge and exposure to a service provider set up and general exposure to terminal operations.
Application Closing Date
31st July, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- For locals (Nigerians) only
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.